Starting off the campaign right by training out in the ocean from Mission Bay Yacht Club.
And we are off! We have begun our first 49er training session of our campaign from Mission Bay Yacht Club and have been sparring with Nevin Snow and Dane Wilson, as we both prepare for the remainder of the 2020 Season. Ian and I are very fortunate to be able to begin training during these very difficult times through the generosity of Mission Bay Yacht Club and the support of Nevin and Dane. Thank you!
Our Training Goals for the Camp?
- Learning each others unique sailing styles through specific communication
- Working to understand the our new roles as a team and begin to develop our own combine style through the basics of maneuvering, straight line speed work and balance.
The conditions here in San Deigo have been more than challenging for our first couple days on the water. Even though there has only been 4 to 7 knots of wind, the medium to large swell has provided an excellent environment for quick learning. The feedback loop is small and mistakes made are obvious, making for a steep! learning curve… we have been stoked with the progress we have made over just a few short days.
Specific Steps for the Rest of the Camp:
- Learning to build and maintain apparent wind both up and downwind
- Continue to sync up the rate of turn of maneuvers with the change of body weight
- Continue to refine our communication both in speed, maneuvers and tactical situations.
We will continue to train out of Mission Bay Yacht Club with Nevin and Dane through the end of June which would conclude a great 2+ week camp out of San Diego. Next up will be a week off for the 4th of July before we look to head to Santa Cruz for the next block of training!
Sponsors and Partners