After 580 miles and 9.5 hrs with our new trailer, we have made it to windy and wavy Santa Cruz, California for our 2nd camp of the summer!
We are looking to spend the next 2.5 weeks here in Santa Cruz and take advantage of some of the best conditions that the California coast can offer during the summer. Big waves, good breezy and bright blue skies!
Why do this?
- A change of venue gives us the opportunity to challenge our team in new and fresh conditions which will continue to keep the learning curve steep and fast!
- We are able to get some great coaching support from Dave Liebenberg aka Big Wave Dave and Local Legend Trevor Baylis!
Another big benefit to our 2nd camp is the addition of a 3rd team! Harry and Finn have finally been able to safely make their way out to the California Coast and have helped to bring the 49er Skiff Squad back into full force!
Here are a few things we are looking to work on while in Santa Cruz:
- Timing of body weight and rate of turn with tacks, gybes, bare-aways, and douses in wavy and windy conditions
- Straight line tuning with a 3 boat squad: dial in our technique and rig progression
- Continue working on communication and building our unique team style on and off the water!
Of course, we wouldn’t be able to do any of this without the help of so many different organizations and people. We would like to give a big thank you to Santa Cruz Yacht Club and their members and staff for all the generosity in allowing our squad to come train out of their facility, to the US Sailing Team for providing the team 49er and team coach boat for us to train on and with, to Treasure Island Sailing Center for helping us pick up our 49er, to the Baab Family for hosting us at their beautiful home and Morgan Larson and Peter Phelan for helping pull together the final logistical pieces on the ground in Santa Cruz!
Can’t wait to get sailing over the next couple weeks and really start to test our abilities on the water. Stay tune for more updates and photos! throughout the next couple weeks both on facebook, http://www.facebook.com/barrowshenkenracing and on instagram, http://www.instagram.com/hanshenken